Set that wig aside as we share best-kept secrets to overcoming hair loss. We know that thinning and lacklustre hair can diminish your self-confidence, that’s why we want to help you get your mojo back.
Hair loss can occur due to a range of reasons. Hormonal changes, alopecia, poor eating habits or nutrient deficiency are some of the potential causes of hair loss.
Since hair loss can occur abruptly or gradually, you must be patient with hair loss remedies. Overcoming this will require your consistency. Before learning about the best-kept secrets to overcoming hair loss let's explore the symptoms of hair loss.
What Are the Symptoms Of Hair Loss
- A receding hairline and gradual thinning of hair at the top of your head.
- Circled bald patches on your head, beard, or eyebrows.
- Full body hair Loss.
- Fungal infections that cause scaling that spreads across your scalp.
Some Of The Common Causes Of Hair Loss:
Chronic Stress Is A Major Contributor To Hair Loss
An overabundance of stress can increase your Cortisol levels. This may raise your risk of developing a condition called telegen effluvium. You can hardly pronounce that, I know. Let us elaborate. This condition essentially makes your hair stall at the telogen phase, thus preventing new hair growth.
Your Hormones Are Driving You Crazy
It's normal to lose hair after childbirth due to hormonal fluctuations. You can expect regrowth within a year. Furthermore, hair loss can occur during perimenopause and menopause due to a decrease in oestrogen levels. Don’t worry if you initiate treatment at an early stage, you have the potential to prevent it.
Your Obsession With Styling And Hair Care Products
If your hair care products line your entire dressing table, you might want to consider using less. Tight braids and ponytails put stress on the scalp and should be avoided. Your hair is also susceptible to breaking and damage caused by heat-based hair appliances such as flat irons and hair dryers, so you should opt for quality hair growth products starting with your shampoo.
Blame Your Nasty Genes
Hair loss can be attributed to poor genetics. As you grow older you will notice a receding hairline or hair loss at the crown, this can be attributed to a condition called Androgenic alopecia. If you’ve counted more than 50 to 100 hairs a day in random spots around the house, then it's time to make use of our best-kept secrets to overcome your hair loss.
Poor eating habits and a history of yo-yo dieting can affect the balance of nutrients in your body, thus contributing to an erratic hair growth cycle. The solution – Adapt a healthy way of life. Also, be a good girl and don’t forget to take those vitamins.
Holistic hair treatment aims to address the root cause of hair loss through the use of natural remedies instead of harsh chemical treatments. We will mention a wide variety of hair growth treatments, but first, you must do the patch test to avoid any allergic reactions and consult with a doctor to rule out any underlying health issues.
What Are Some of The Best Kept Secrets To Overcome Hair Loss?
Zinc, biotin, Ashwagandha, Folic Acid, Horsetail and Bamboo Extract and Saw Palmetto are some of the supplements that may help with hair loss.
- Essential Oils such as Argan Oil, Jamaican Castor Oil, Pumpkin Seed Oil, and Rosemary Oil, can be diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil and massaged into the scalp twice a week.
- Scalp Massages are recommended by professional hair clinics for hair loss. This technique involves applying gentle pressure in circular motions to specific spots of the scalp with fingers or a brush. A scalp massage can stimulate blood flow, reduce stress, and relax the muscles.
- Derma Rolling is one of the best-kept secrets to overcoming hair loss. It’s a favourable way to ensure that the oils are absorbed effectively. However, you must determine the right size of needles and follow proper instructions when you opt to use derma rolling.
Please consult your doctor before trying any of these methods because these carrier oils may interact with your medication. Although this isn't backed by science some have had successful results.
- Aloe Vera Gel works like a bomb to soothe and moisturise, cleanse, and reduce inflammation, sebum build-up, dandruff, and fungal infections. You can apply aloe vera gel directly to your scalp or mix it with honey and lemon juice.
- Lemon Juice, yes, you read right. Lemon juice has antibacterial and antioxidant properties. It can help to balance the pH- levels. Mix it with olive oil, aloe vera gel or jojoba oil for the best results.
- Onion Juice can boost collagen naturally because it contains sulphur. It's also great for enhanced blood circulation and fighting infections. If you are thinking yeah right and squirming, don’t worry, you can buy ourcollagen supplements, so you won't have to take such drastic measures and smell like onions.
- Rice Water contains inositol which is a carbohydrate that can repair damaged hair and prevent future damage. While there isn’t enough scientific evidence for it, some people swear that it works. You can add a few tablespoons after you condition and rinse your hair. Then you can gently towel dry and wash it out after a day.
- Acupuncture is an option if you want to treat alopecia areata. It’s a condition where the immune system attacks the hair follicles. It may reduce inflammation and enhance regrowth. However, it may be unlikely to affect other forms of hair loss such as female pattern baldness because that might be hereditary or caused by hormones.
- Sleep Therapy - Your body needs rest to regrow your hair and rejuvenate from within. Sleep is one of the most important ways to spur hair regrowth.
- Stay Hydrated – It's crucial to drink enough water to stay hydrated (minimum 8 glasses a day). When your body is dehydrated it prioritises water for your vital organs instead of your integumentary system which includes your hair. Dehydration could result in hair loss, psoriasis, toxin accumulation, breakage, and dry brittle hair.
When Do You Need To Consult Your Dermatologist?
If you have sustained and severe hair loss; itching; major discomfort; bumps and soreness in addition to hair loss, and abrupt or mysterious balding then you need to consult a dermatologist.
What To Expect In Your First Dermatologist Consultation?
- Trichometric Analysis is when your doctor uses a digital device to determine your hair density, diameter, growth rate and shedding rate.
- A Scalp Biopsy is a procedure where pieces of your scalp are scraped to obtain samples for microscopic inspection. They will also take some of your hair to examine the roots and check for scarring, fungal infection, and inflammation.
- A Hair Pull test is where your dermatologist will gently pull through your hair to see how much is extracted and to note the stage of your shedding process.
- Blood Tests - You will be asked to do blood tests to check for thyroid problems, iron deficiencies, auto-immune disorders, and hormonal imbalances.
- Miniaturization Test - The dermatologist will use a hand-held device to check for miniaturization of the hair shaft which is a sign of male pattern baldness.
What Are The Treatments That Dermatologists Recommend For Hair Loss?
Most treatments that are available for hair loss will depend on the cause and severity of hair loss.
Medication: Your doctor may recommend over-the-counter oral or topical medication such as steroids. They may slow hair loss and instigate growth.
Surgery: There is also the option of a hair transplant. Hair transplants involve removing hair from certain areas of the scalp and manually inserting the hair follicle into another area.
Laser Therapy: You can try to use laser therapy to stimulate blood flow and cellular activity in the scalp. Laser therapy can minimise hair loss and stimulate growth. We love that you can do your laser therapy at home using a medical-grade laser hair device.
Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) is a method where your blood is drawn, and the plasma is extracted and then reinserted into your scalp. It has been known to be rather effective and can be added to our list of best-kept secrets to overcoming hair loss.
Do you have any idea how green with envy your friends are going to be when they see your luscious locks? Motherkind products top that list of best-kept secrets to overcoming hair loss. Join our holistic health enthusiasts today. Visit our website to purchase our fabulous hair care products
Written by: Shamima Amod